The love-struck suitor visits His Love and polishes
her harp (not a metaphor).
I told somebody the other day that I think my thing with Valentina
Lisitsa is like a schoolboy crush.
But last night I was thinking that given my age that it is more like the
stories of courtly love of old. She is my Queen and I am either her
troubadour or her humpback jester — haven't decided which.
STAGES OF COURTLY LOVE
(from Barbara Tuchman.)
- Attraction to the lady, usually via eyes/glance.
- Worship of the lady from afar.
- Declaration of passionate devotion.
- Virtuous rejection by the lady.
- Renewed wooing with oaths of virtue and eternal fealty.
- Moans of approaching death from unsatisfied desire.
- Heroic deeds of valor which win the lady's heart.
- Consummation of the secret love.
- Endless adventures and subterfuges avoiding detection.
Well I don't know. I don't think all of that adds up to what is going on.
So I think I'll have to stick with school boy crush.
STAGES OF THE SCHOOLBOY CRUSH
- Passing of notes to the object of the crush.
- Riding by her house on a bicycle.
…Oh to hell with it.